“Quantitative Modelling of Sustainable Supply Chains subject to Major Disruptions”
This research project supported by a Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship within the 7th European Community Framework Programme (grant No. ESR- 299255) and is carried out at Leeds University Business School, University of Leeds, UK. Click here to visit the official project webpage.
- Professor Jairo R. Montoya-Torres (Professor at Universidad de La Sabana, Colombia, and Marie Curie Research Fellow at the University of Leeds, UK), and
- Dr. Luisa H. Huatuco (Lecturer in Operations and Business Processes at Leeds University Business School, University of Leeds, UK).
Objectives: The research objectives of this project are
- To model conceptually complex globalized supply chains in order to measure the level of synergy between a set of economic and environmental performance metrics. Classical economic metrics to be considered are: cost, lead-time and service level, while environmental metrics to be considered are: carbon footprint, eco-efficiency, waste ratio, resource utilisation rates and material recovery rate.
- To propose efficient and effective solution procedures based on mathematical modelling approaches and heuristic procedures in order to quantify the causal relationships between the different elements of a sustainable supply chain.
- To carry out a set of computer experiments so as to validate the proposed modelling and solution approaches in order to analyse how major natural disruptions may (or may not) cause changes in the environmental performance of the supply chain.
News & Events:
- 22 June 2013: Presentation by Prof. Jairo R. Montoya-Torres at Said Buiness School, University of Oxford, UK about “Overview of research in sustainable logistics / SCM”.
- Dr. Jairo Montoya Torres and Dr. Luisa H. Huatuco are members of the scientific committee of the special session on “Optimization and Sustainability” of the ICEIS 2013 conference, to be held in Angers, France, 3-7 July 2013. This session is co-chaired by Prof. Ernesto D.R.S. Gonzalez (Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto, Brazil) and Prof. Nelson Maculan (COPPE, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- 29 April 2013: The official webpage of the project is now online. Click here.
- 9 April 2013: Seminar by Prof. Jairo Montoya Torres. Title: “Introduction of current and future research interests in sustainable logistics”. Tuesday 9th April, 11:30-12:30 in Room 1.44, as part of the research meetings of the Technology and Innovation Group (TIGr) at LUBS.
Edition of special issues in academic journals
- Journal of Cleaner Production. Special volume on “Decision-support models and tools for helping to make real progress to more sustainable societies“. In progress. Co-edited by Ernesto D.R.S. Gonzalez (Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto, Brazil), Nelson Maculan (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), Luisa Huaccho Huatuco (University of Leeds, UK), Jairo R. Montoya-Torres (Universidad de La Sabana, Colombia), Ali Diabate (Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, United Arab Emirates), Cecilia M.V.B. de Almeida (Universidade Paulista, Brazil), Biagio Giannetti (Universidade Paulista, Brazil), Donald Huisingh (University of Tennessee, USA).
- International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management. Special issue on “Performance measurement of sustainable supply chains”. In progress. Co-edited by Dr. L.Huaccho Huatuco (University of Leeds, UK), Prof. Dr. Jairo R. Montoya-Torres (Universidad de La Sabana, Colombia and University of Leeds, UK), Dr. N. Shaw (University of Leeds, UK), and Dr. A. Calinescu (University of Oxford, UK).
- Logistique et Management. Special issue on “Chaines Logistiques Durables”. In progress. Co-edited by Dr. Anicia Jaegler (BEM Business School, Talance, France) and Prof. Dr. Jairo R. Montoya-Torres (Universidad de La Sabana, Colombia).
Papers in academic journals
- E.H. Alfonso-Lizarazo, J.R. Montoya-Torres, E. Gutiérrez-Franco (in press). “Modeling reverse logistics process in the agro-industrial sector: The case of the palm oil supply chain”. Applied Mathematical Modelling. DOI: 10.1016/j.apm.2013.05.015.
Conference papers (publication of full paper)
- J.R. Montoya-Torres, L. Huaccho Huatuco, T.F. Burgess. “Simulation analysis of the sustainability performance of a supply chain subject to disruption”. Submitted: 11th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR2013). Cranfield, UK. 19-20 September 2013
- J.R. Montoya-Torres, L. Huaccho Huatuco, T.F. Burgess. “Towards a conceptual framework for studying the impact of major disruptions on sustainability in supply chains”. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Information Systems, Logistics and Supply Chain “Creative logistics for an uncertain world” (ILS 2012). Quebec (Canada), August 26-29, 2012. CD-ROM.
Other conference presentations (publication of abstract only)
- L. Huaccho Huatuco, J.R. Montoya-Torres, T.F. Burgess. “Modelling of complex globalized supply chains: Synergy between economic, social and environmental performance metrics”. 26th European Conference on Operational Research (EURO / INFORMS MMXIII). Roma, Italy, 1-4 July 2013.